Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Power of Prayer

So this literally just happened. I arrived at work this morning and realized that I had misplaced a check that I had brought with me yesterday to deposit. It wasn't in my pockets (I was wearing the same jeans; don't judge me), and I didn't see it last night when I emptied out my pockets after returning home from 5/8 Club. I figured it must have fallen out of my pocket at some point yesterday when I was pulling out my keys or cell phone. Unfortunately, I was in a bunch of places yesterday: home, my car, the Abundant Life house, the Chinese restaurant, Food Lion, the office, the bus, a kids' house, Trinity, and another kids' house. The prospect of finding it didn't seem all that great.

This afternoon, I thought I'd look for it in the few places in my close proximity. I grabbed the key to the bus and went outside. As I walked to the parking lot, I looked at the grass around the walkway and thought about how far a check could blow in 16-24 hours. I continued on to the bus and walked through it. No luck. I then walked over to my car and checked around the driver's seat. Nothing. Finally, I went in the trunk to grab something. As I closed the trunk and turned back toward the office, I prayed to myself, "Lord, please help me find this check." Immediately a small piece of paper in the parking lot caught my eye. I walked up to it and unfolded it; it was the check.

Sometimes we wait years for our prayers to be answered. Sometimes we never get the answer we are looking for. But every once in a while, at least for me, the answer comes instantly. No one understands these things, but I know it has to do with faith. So here I am, just like in the Parables of the Lost Sheep and Lost Coin, calling on you to rejoice with me :)

"And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith." - Matthew 21:22

1 comment:

  1. I'm always losing things... your story brings back so many memories of God's faithfulness. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

Share This